Garden Tomato soup - This time, no tears.
I spent the morning crying after finding that our first batch of soup was accidentally left out all night.
The second batch was a delicious followup. The recipe was a patchwork of things I found online, but here is a rough run down:
- Core and chop 2-3 lbs of tomatoes.
- Mix tomatoes with 1-2 chopped onions, about a head of garlic, 1/2 cup of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Spread on a pan and roast for just under an hour at 450F.
- Remove from pan and place in a pot with about a 1L of chicken or vegetable stock.
- Blend with a hand blender and strain.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add herbs to taste (oregano, sage, rosemary, savoury, etc.), about 1/4 cup of butter, and 1 cup of cream.
- Boil for what seemed like a really long time (maybe 1 1/2 hours?) adding cream or milk to cut the acidity.